On the QT

Friday, November 02, 2007



A LOSS OF INNOCENCE


One thing I always enjoyed about Santa Claus was the innocence he brought out in the eyes of children. Oh, I know all the flaws, all the faults, all the scars that neo-philosophers claim about having children believe in someone whom they find out shortly doesn't exist. I know all the arguments about the real reason for celebrating Christmas and how distorted it is to feature Santa. I'm really not a big Santa fan. But I am a fan of innocence. And there's something sad about its loss to me.


I look at Mia Farrow with Ed Nelson in this 1964 still from Peyton Place. I know, there you go again; what was innocent about Peyton Place? But the look on a teenage Mia compared to her just a few years later, no concern for her appearance, hanging around with Hollywood types such as Woody Allen. I know, Woody's a New Yorker, but again, don't be so critical or I'll never get my point across. Mia was innocent in a formidable way here, apparently. The different, mature Mia looked worn out to me, and not at all happy.


It's like many who go away to college. They left high school innocent enough. Well, now I know you're in a dream world. And no one leaves high school or middle school, or even grade school innocent anymore. Quantitatively speaking. When they get to a four year college or university, they have freedom for the first time, again for the most part.


Beer becomes the fascination. Lots of beer. Professors seem to open up a new world. It's mostly not like the world they thought they knew. They become questioning, they become doubtful, they become cynical. They lose that innocent look. They have to grow up.


The military can do that, even better. I've talked to returning soldiers from boot camp who were no longer the same person they were before they left. They had no innocence after 8 weeks.


Ok, Mr. Cleaver, so what's the answer? How do we keep them innocent? Why do we want to keep them innocent?


I never said I had any answers. Just observations. And a little over-simplification smeared in with a little nostalgia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home