On the QT

Thursday, March 27, 2008


AND THAT'S WHEN IT CAME TO ME
I was watching the results of the nationwide vote for who would be eliminated on the American Idol. The three candidates were not whom I would have chosen. Chikeze (one name only) was sent packing. The other two were an attractive Black woman and a White guy, Jason Castro--wearer of dreadlocks.
I was reminded of a college classmate of mine in 1969. An older Black man, he remarked that he was so proud to see a Black man drinking a Coke in a tv commercial. All his life he had drunk Coke, but he's never seen a Black do the same in a commercial. (These were the 60's remember and he's was making reference to a time earlier in the decade.) It was a matter of pride, of satisfaction. Of finally being recognized as a person of worth.
I've been watching, not with baited breath, the two democratic Presidential candidates scuffle along. I don't like either as faithful reader(s) can imagine. When I hear one of them talk, I think "Oh, the other candidate has to be better." Then I hear him or her, and I think "Wow! They are both terrible."
But what I couldn't understand until the judging on The Idol and the college friend of mine somehow tied it all together is this: Blacks want Obama to win simply because he's Black, or half-Black. We used to use the word Mulatto, but I guess that's not politically correct. So, no matter how bad he may be, it's like that guy drinking the Coke or voting for Chikeze or Sayasha, it validates the race.(Evidently, Blacks didn't call in as much as Whites this week on The American Idol.)
Now gender is another thing. Do women want Hillary just because she's female? Well, that may be an entry for another day.
My solution, and you thought I had no answers, is to vote for McCain and his VP, Condelezza Rice. He's already said he will only serve one term if elected, then slip Condy in there as Prez and voila--you have a Black who's a woman. She adds a ton of experience and intellect to the GOP and the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home