On the QT

Wednesday, November 02, 2005


THEY AIN'T THE SAME

No 62 wins this year in the regular season. No dunks. Not one that I saw. And I felt like an Easterner or Midwestener having to watch a game that started at 8:30 MY time. And tomorrow's game at LA is the same.

Of course last night's game vs the Mavs went into double OT, but when my normal (OPT) bed time is 9:30, that's stretching this old cat. OPT is what Courtney called it when she would visit us when she was in college--that is, we were on Old People's Time.

Back to the Suns. Why team management decided not to re-sign Joe Johnson, why to trade Q Richardson, why to sign Amare to a 40 mil contract when they knew he had a bad wheel are all mysteries to me. Granted, they didn't know the scope (pun) of the injury, but he had been favoring it in summer practices before the contract.

And why did I return to watching the NBA? Man, my choices are limited. Hockey--can't stand it. They are some great athletes, don't get me wrong. And I understand the game, basically. I've been to several games and in the best seats. Don't like it. At all. NFL in Phoenix--one game a year. When the RAMS play here. The new stadium is really going to be something. But who wants to go to a great theater and watch a bad movie? Every week. ASU athletics--football pretenders/basketball, well ASU and basketball just don't go together. Kinda like cubs and the playoffs. Arizona Fall League--cool, but it's winding down.

So I was left with the Suns in the Winter. And they blew it. Stoud's injury doesn't count against them or him, but man, that's a serious one. Even for a 22-year old. But why management broke up a great team is staggering to me. With Robert Sarver's dough it wasn't about money. Speaking of which. They have courtside, Jack Nicholson seats for $1,500 per game. And they have them for season tickets--41 games. They ring two rows of the court. For the 2005-6 season--sold out!

While the sun fades in sunny AZ, I'll try to stay up late, and hope the Sun doesn't fade out, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home