On the QT

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH

With its big white horse in the background, wait a minute, how can anything that big be in the background? With the horse a stunning monument to the Denver Broncos, jutting into the rocky mountain sky, Coors Field just wasn't suited for baseball back in 1995. And I'm not sure it is today. Not unless they adjust the fences.

Bernanrd Gilkey hit a fly to left. A can of corn. Not even deep left. Medium left. A typical can of corn. But in Coors or Mile High, it landed 10 rows into the left field stands. I thought it funny at the time and with a big Cardinals lead I thought, oh well, players will have to adjust.

Then the Rockies mounted (pun ) a charge and the Cardinals were giving up cheap home runs. The Cardinals lost, I felt cheated, and I don't even remember the food. Except for the night I was in charge of cooking burgers for 15 and my coals ran out after about enough food for 5. There's something about that mile high air that I don't like.

Hike? I couldn't breathe after climbing porch steps. And my golf ball didn't seem to go much farther. And I still couldn't putt. I remember an eagle Scott made on the 18th hole at Skyland Golf Course. But I was so mad at my own play that I couldn't enjoy his.

Well, I guess you've figured I didn't like Mile High for baseball, cooking, hiking, walking, golfing. I don't even like the purple unis. So I'll give Colorado a D. Still ahead of wrigley mind you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home