On the QT

Saturday, October 15, 2005

BUSCH STADIUM MEMORIES PART VIII

Even though some have read my trip down memory lane in a baseball post, I had to include as one of my all-time bests at Busch, August 23, 1966. It rained steadily all night. Larry Howard and I sat in the 10th row in the left field bleachers. And watched through the raindrops--THE BEATLES!!!

Only 23,000+ showed up that soggy night due largely to John Lennon's flip comment,"We're more popular than Jesus." There were organized protesters outside the stadium urging people to boycott the performance of a lifetime.

I can't remember saying it, but I was thinking, "Heck with you guys. I paid $4.50 for this ticket. I'm going in."

(That wasn't a misprint by the way.) Four dollars and fifty cents. The top price for the best seats was $5.50. Larry and I didn't want to invest that much since rumors were that The Beatles would cancel after that ridiculous Lennon gaff. Also, our parents were dead set against our going. This was before the interstate and the roads between Mt. Vernon and St. louis were poor. In fact, I know of only one other group of Mt. Vernonites--certainly the only others from the high school who saw the performance.

Through the incessant rain, through poor seating (The Beatles stage was at second base facing home plate, naturally), through no rain gear of any kind, Larry and I were in rock heaven at Busch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home