On the QT

Monday, October 10, 2005

BUSCH STADIUM MEMORIES PART IV

Ozzie's last game. Man it was another beautiful Sunday afternoon in St. Louis on that October day.
It had been an uphill year for the Wizard. He felt unappreciated by manager Tony LaRussa who wanted him to move to second base while Royce pre-dredlox-Clayton mannned the shortstop position. It must have been ugly back then since Oz and Tony still don't get along. Hey that kind of stuff happens when egos get in the way.

I'm sure the Cardinals won, though once again I have no memory of who the opponent was or the final outcome. The Cardinals just have a knack for winning games like that. (I know, Scott will fill me in with the data that I've omitted. And I appreciate it, thanks Son)

What I remember was that Ozzie took a victory lap before Cal R. and before Wade B did. (And on a police horse no less for the third baseman.)

Ozzie began his walk heading down the third base line and moving to the outfield. Doug Ferguson, of the now defunct Ferguson Fortune of the MVRL Baseball League, and I went to the game and sat in our seats in section 130,row 6.
"Let's get down there," I said to Doug. We went to the rail down the first baseline.
Ozzie's getting tired and cutting short his farewell tour as he's waving more and not shaking as many hands.
"Oz, my man," I yell out. And he heads right to me and Doug.
"You were the best, man," I gushed as I shook his hand.
"Thanks," and he's off.
Why he came over to me, when hundreds of others were pleading for a
chance to get close to the Wizard, I'll never know. But I'm glad he did. My only regret is not attending his Hall of Fame induction with Scott. Maybe the next time a CARDINAL gets the call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home