On the QT

Sunday, December 18, 2005


ON THE OUTSIDE IN THE MVRL

Man, what would Sunday afternooon be without the MVRL? Even when your team choked it like the St. Louis Cardinals, Atlanta Braves, and the 2005 Astros, it's still fun to switch that remote and find out who's doing what. It's also tough when your team is out of it, not knowing who to root for. This year we have 3 storied franchises and one rook in the final four. All worthy opponents and good guys. When I got on the website after another Ram loss, another Cardinal loss, and the first loss for the Colts, I found Derek and Wes tied at 64 and Ryan and Terry close. Good luck guys--it looks like it could come down to the Monday Nighter.

Some thought on next year. You know, Ryan F is absolutely correct in calling our league a crapshoot, but isn't the NFL that way? How in the heck does San Diego get shut out by the Dolphins one week and beat the Colts in Indy in the next week? How does David Carr's team win and score 30 and he gets 0 points? Similar to Brad Johnson last week. Those are just a few examples, as you know there are many more. (See LT)

Despite all the breaks or lack of them, how do 3 of the final 4 teams get there nearly every year? We only get to keep two players, we have a rookie contest and selection, we have trades, we have free agents, and yet, nearly every year there sit Ryan and Derek in a position to win yet another championship. So how's that a crapshoot?

And it's just like the NFL. Oh yeah, there are always underdogs or newcomers, but the Steelers, the Broncos, well you know the rest (and if you know me, I won't name the patsies from the other coast) are nearly always in the playoff hunt. Fortunately, in our league we have no football Cardinals who never make the playoffs, but you get my drift.

So, having said all that, I'd suggest no changes to the football league for next season. Why mess with something that works so well? Now,baseball is another story. Even though I like the way we do it with the compilation of stats for the year rather than head-to-head, I think it may be time for a change. I think all are in agreement that Ryan F and Scott return to the league. I like the 3 AL players plus a 4th at mid-season. I'm ready for some modifications in this league. Ok, I'm ready to give Derek's head-to-head a chance. In fact, I'm in favor. And while baseball's not crapshoot (have you seen The Bronx Tale?), it is many times a simple roll of the dice.

Tomorrow's blog will cover a little history of the MVRL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home