On the QT

Thursday, November 08, 2007



THE $46,000 QUESTION


Actually it was the $64,000 Question. A game show from the '50's that was caught cheating. But since my youngest grandson calls Deal or No Deal, No Deal or Deal, I thought if he were my twin when this show was aired, he might call it the $46,000 Dollar Question. Just kidding, Nathan.


But what a long way game shows, and prize money has come in 50 years. Now when contestants win $64,000 they act as if they've been whipped. They turn down $200,000 for a chance for 1 million. When they do that, my other grandson, Grant, shakes his head and says, "Too greedy." He doesn't root for them any longer, and I'm the same way.


But sometimes on tv shows I root for the bad guy. Even when he's not very likable. I don't know why. I asked my wife if she ever does that. "No," is her reply. No more discussion. Just, no. She acts as if I'm the only one ever to cheer on the bad guy. Except other bad guys.


Now let me clarify. I never root against Jack Bauer or some hero. Speaking of Heroes, I'm a fledgling fan of the show so I don't know who to root for. The cheerleader, of course, and I like the Doctor, but he may be bad. Peter seems to be a good guy, but my favorite is Hiro. He can't be bad, even when he almost alters history by falling for a beautiful woman in 1671. Confused? Me, too. And I have no clue about D. L. and his wife--I don't even know her name, but their kid is cool.


Anyway, I don't hope bad things happen to anybody on Friday Night Lights associated with the Panthers. Except the coach's daughter. When she referred to her baby sister as "the Blob," well, that did it for me. It's bad enough that she's mistreating her quarterback boyfriend and has a rotten attitude, but, ...hey I'm getting carried away.


One of these entries I'll give specific examples of bad guys I root for. For now, you'll just have to take my word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home