On the QT

Monday, November 07, 2005

I NEVER WANTED THE STALLIONS

Back in the day of expansion in the NFL, there was a poor ownership team put together to try to return football to St. Lou. Even a last ditch effort to include Walter Payton in the ownership group failed to curry a team to the Midwest. But the talk was about what to name the new franchise. Some sentiment was held for the Archers, others the Cardinals, "and let Bidwell change the name of that team he's taking to the desert," but what was decided upon by Those in Charge was the Stallions.

And you know what? I never wanted the Stallions. Or any expansion team. I wanted an existing franchise so I wouldn't have to wait so long for a winner. I didn't realize how successful parity or big bucks could equalize things. (I could have said level the playing field, but that's such a cliche.) So I got what I wanted. The RAMS. The storied RAMS would move to St. Louis! I was so happy, having followed the football Big Red for all those years. Now I would have a real team to root for.

Of course I jumped at PSL's and the chance to watch a winner. And it really didn't take too long either.

One thing I really liked about the RAMS was their helmets. The horns on the side were just the best. I also liked their colors. I'm not quite as pleased with the change after the Super Bowl Champs' year, but I realize the yellow pants may have been a little gaudy. But that's not my focus today.

I say the Mt. Vernon Rams need the horns on the helmets, too. That would be so cool. Even the green with gold horns looks good on Colorado State. And with classic orange horns on a solid black helmet, well that would be the bomb! (No cliche there)

Now if I just knew someone of influence from MTV High who could affect such a change. And maybe even throw some money their way. Some money that the football team has brought in this year due to big crowds and playoff games. Some money that couldn't go to the AD who is also the basketball coach who may have other ideas. (Horns on the shorts of the basketball unis might suggest something else., though.)

Horns on baseball hats, golf visors, cross country unis, cheerleader unis. Naugh. Just football helmets. Maybe even in time for the state championship game this year. Any ideas who I could talk to?

1 Comments:

  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Derek Harlan said…

    this is the first year in the past 2 or 3 that they didn't have the horns. they did have them and they looked good, but went plain jane this year (which i happen to like as well).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home