On the QT

Thursday, November 03, 2005

SO WHEN IT'S COMING DOWN?

I've heard or read nothing recently about the stadium and the demolition ball. Also, I think the name of the new stadium is The New Busch Stadium and I know the Anheuser guys purchased naming rights, but again, I'm not sure of the name.

I was glad to see the Cardinals signed Suppan for another season. I thought he was soft before he came to the Cardinals, but hey Duncan/Tony have a good one in him now. He's no nonsense, he's no limelights, he's just effective.

I saw where a Mizzou legislator wants to tax umpires for their earnings while performing their duties in the state. Evidently, players have to do that. At least in Missouri. It seems crazy to me.

But it did get me thinking. Not that this is original at all. My proposal is do away with instant replay in football. For football and baseball (include pro basketball if you like, although I'd never include anything in college as long as the ncaa has any control in their present state of/ or lack of mind) have an umpire or referee or two in a video room having full access to the same thing that fans can see on tv. Let them be the deciding factor in close calls.

Of course, there could be problems with this proposal, but the most important thing is to get the call right. The second thing is to do it in a timely manner. And this should be much quicker than the NFL review policy. The conferring of umpires (pretty rare) takes too much time, too. It would have to be propitiously done, but I think it would make for a better game.

Sidebar: If I were an umpire, I'd never give adam everett another close call. I know, in baseball you do what you can get away with. But he tried to sell a play that wasn't that close to an umpire who was screened out of the play. By the way, why didn't gibson ( I called him Lewis, I believe in another blog) confer with the first base ump on that one? Of course, everett got the call, but that was a little too much acting for me. Yet in another sport, a 16-year old girl gets disqualified from a tournament a day later because a sportswriter thinks (correctly so) that she moved her ball closer to the hole after it became unplayable. It merely cost her $53,000+. Poor Michelle, how will she ever make it up? I know. But it just seems that it's ok to do whatever in one sport and in another, some guy in his Lazy Boy can call in to get a penalty called on a golfer. Or worse a sportswriter can . From sleazy Sports Illustrated. Why is SI sleazy? Read the Suns' article in last week's edition. Note what an assistant coach calls a 7'1" player. In print. Don't get me started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home