On the QT

Thursday, December 22, 2005


OLD SOFTY

I was ready. To unload. On the St. Louis Cardinals. Owners. And even Walt Jocketty.

I had a picture of Bozo the Clown. And a story. About how Walter appeared on the WGN based show back in the early 60's when he played The Grand Prize Game. No, he didn't miss the first bucket. But I certainly think he and the owners missed the mark on signing Fat Sidney. Talk about team chemistry. They are so hot to trade Marquis because he bellyached about not being a starter in the post season, but they'll take a flyer, and a million dollar one at that, on Ponson. But they wouldn't offer more for Gruz. Or Dotel. Or a whole heckuva lot of other free agents.

So I guess we'll see Marquis go for Willy Throw Pena or some other scrapheap project. Spend the damn money--you got it; come on.

But then I thought, "Are you kidding me?" You're getting so upset over something you have no control over? Do you know what time of the year this is? And I'm not talking about the Hot Stove League, or x number of days to Spring Training. Or even the opening of the New Busch Stadium. (I got my Christmas stocking from the Cardinals yesterday with the New Busch Stadium logo on it. I got it for ordering one of the 4-Game Packs.)

I'm talking about the manger, not the manager. I'm talking about the Lord Almighty, not the almighty dollar. The creche, not the cash. And how can one think of the crib without thinking of the cross, without thinking of the crown, without thinking of the King?

Have the most blessed Christmas ever and in the silence of Christmas Eve night, say a prayer of thanks to the Lord for His gift to us. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home