On the QT

Saturday, January 07, 2006


DOES YOUR HUSBAND PLAY?

This entry is not an attempt to undermine Scott's movie blog. But it is a good description of my golf game.

When a foresome (that's the spelling of the term I coined which needs some explanation.) A foursome is 4 golfers paired together for a round of golf. A foresome is 4 golfers whose limited success striking the golf ball squarely occasionally results in at least one of them yelling, "Fore," to warn others in the vicinity of a golf shot gone astray.

So, when a foresome of men are on the putting green and one of them hits a putt noticeably short of the hole, it's common for another member of the foresome to say, "Nice shot, Alice." "Hit it, Alice," is also spoken generally by the one who left his putt well short of the hole. "Does your husband play (golf)," is another verbal retort directed at the short putting golfer.

Having struggled for some time with my golf game, I learned yesterday from an old golf buddy, Virgil DeBoer who is visiting Scottsdale for two months, of course, January and February--I never hear from him in August and September, that I have not been taking the club back far enough in my backswing. He noticed this flaw from the many rounds we've played together since 1980 or so. My other Mt. Vernon buddy, Allen Karch noticed it, too, but being the nice guy he is, didn't mention it. Kinda like having the old spinach in your teeth. Do I tell him or not?

My Scottsdale buddies didn't tell me I was Chicken Littling it because they want to beat me. Also, they aren't as familiar with my swing.

My wife tried to give me some constructive criticism, and I listened, always thinking there's just one thing wrong with my swing and when I get it fine tuned, watch out! It's a common misconception.

So having received my instruction from Virgil, I proceeded to shoot two over par for the last 5 holes, three of them are very tough, while recording my first birdie of 2006. On one of the hardest holes in the valley. A 205 yard par three over a lake with sandtraps on the front, side, and back. The green is elevated and sloped. The wind is usually in your face. So I took my three-wood back as far as I could, well at least farther than I was and knocked it about seven feet short of the pin and sunk my putt.

Alice doesn't live here anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home