On the QT

Tuesday, July 17, 2007




THE CLONEHEADS




"iF EVER TWO WERE ONE


THEN SURELY WE"


begins a poem I used to teach. It was also good to teach the meaning of paradox.


But what happens when two does equal one? A running joke, which I'm sure I've shared before, is the comment my wife makes that she and I share one brain. And she has it.


I don't know how two people could agree more. It's not like we try to appease the other, although I learned many years ago not to argue about things that really don't matter. That way I can stand firm on a rare issue that matters that we might differ on.


But you name it and we're usually in agreement. I don't know how two people from different backgrounds, education, work, avocations, etc. could be brought together and see things so similarly. We know what the other is thinking, we focus on the same thing at the same time, we know when each other needs some down time. It's uncanny.




And it's been that way for years. Example? Ok. I had tickets for the Dbax and Padre games on Friday and Saturday. I knew she wouldn't want to go to both games. Maybe if it were the Cardinals, or maybe just for my sake if it were the Cardinals. I was right. I feigned surprise, but I knew. Friday night's tickets went my my chiropractor because I was 15 minutes late for my appointment and he released me for playing golf. Hallelujah! Come Saturday, we dressed for the game, but decided not to go. We stayed home, watched a movie, flipped channels at commercials to watch the Dbax. No problem--great night.


Not convinced, yet? Well, it's true. And I think while it may not be unique, it's neat. Our good friends the Kruegers have a plaque on their hallway wall stating, "I'm glad I married my best friend." Me, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home