On the QT

Wednesday, July 11, 2007


TODAY'S 7-11? WHAT?
Sometimes we all get Gonzoed. You know, that wide-eyed look of bewilderment.
I used to get it when I was leading a fast break. Probably twice. But I remember a Church League sub on our team telling me how my eyes got bigger and bigger the closer I got to the basket. But hey, I had to decide to take it all the way, dish it off, or stop and pop. Others might call it the Leigh Taylor Young look. If you don't know that reference, she had huge eyes in her attractive face.
Now, I've said all that to say this. Our family all met in San Diego for the Fourth. Travel with three little ones ages 9, 6, and 4 can be quite a chore for our son and his wife. While going through security, our youngest was asked his first name. He replied correctly. Then he was asked his last name. He Gonzoed, saying, "I can't know."
But I must digress. He had been inserted into his big brother's baseball team line up for the last game of the season. He was wearing a jersey with the name Phoenix on the back. It was never picked up by the real player named Phoenix who missed the entire season. Our grandson was jokingly referred to as Nathan Phoenix. He played in the game, got three hits, never handled a ball in center field, and is ready for next season.
So in his Gonzo moment, he was unsure of what answer to give. "I can't know," was as good as any. It was harder than my choices running the break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home