On the QT

Sunday, September 30, 2007


DON'T BURN THE POPCORN
Is there any better snack? I don't know if my young adults (well, I can't call them kids any more) eat popcorn for breakfast, but it's good for me most any other time of the day. The only reason I included my offspring (that sounds even worse) is that both of them will eat cold pizza for breakfast, and that damages me. And, surprisingly neither drinks coffee. But I don't know how morning popcorn would be.
My favorite is theatre popcorn. Even if it costs five dollars a box, "and for 50 cents more, we can give you a large soft drink." My second favorite is Strothmann Field popcorn. Through twelve years of watching those morning pizza eaters play baseball or softball there, I was a loyal customer at the concession stand. My next favorite is Act II 100 calorie pack, 94% butter free. Actually, I'd prefer 100% buttery, but my waistline dictates otherwise.
But what about microwaved, burned popcorn? Is there any worse smell on the planet? I mean really burned? Last week I burned turkey bacon (is that an oxymoron?) badly in the microwave.
As I was sitting at the computer, I noticed a golf ball in my front yard. An errant shot from the 6th tee box that flew over my neighbor's house, hit the street and jumped into my yard. Maybe a Pro-V, I thought as I went to the kitchen to cook my bacon. While I hit the timer for 61 seconds, I must have hung around too long on the 1 and wound up skorching the bacon, which cooked for 6 minutes and 11 seconds. I didn't know that because I was retrieving the wickedly sliced golf ball--no Pro-V, but a new Top Flight.
Was there ever darker turkey bacon? And the smell. No matter what we did, that smell inhabited the house with us for nearly a week. But you know what? It could have been worse. It could have been popcorn.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger Pure BS said…

    I love popcorn too. As a matter of fact thanks for reminding me to make some tonight. Mine is microwave and it take 2 minutes 32 seconds. One second more and it is no good and one second less and too many old maids. It took me a lot of experimenting to determine the exact amount of time. My golf club always has bowls of popcorn sitting out. Maybe it was the reason I joined the Club. It has to be a good Club if fresh popcorn is always there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home