On the QT

Friday, November 09, 2007




ON THE STAIRCASE




Or Opie growed up. Unfortunately, I haven't approved of many of Opie's last movies, so I think I'll stick with the original title.




I loved American Graffiti. And this stairway reminds me so much of the one leading down to the first floor of C Building where I spent my time.

Some as a student, most as a teacher.


I've blogged before about moments. Moments that change the course of a life. As many times as I've watched AG (American Graffiti) I still don't remember what was taking place in this scene, other than it was a break from a dance. But it could have enormous potential. For success, for disaster, or for the time. Life altering decisions.


What if she says no? What if he never asks? What if he says no? Where could it lead? In "Our Town", George makes a decision on the spot not to go to agriculture college and to stay and marry his high school sweetheart, Emily. How many decisions of that magnitude have been made at schools, dorms, libraries, benches, coffee shops? The list is endless. The effects great.


So many what ifs make up a lifetime. "This Magic Moment" was a 60's song that fits in here. Along without about a thousand others. So what do we make of it? I don't know. I'm glad I asked the right questions and didn't ask the ones I wasn't supposed to. But that's the advantage of 20/20 hindsight speaking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home