On the QT

Sunday, February 03, 2008


WHY WEAR A CROSS?
I've worn one for years, maybe back as far as 25 years. Recently, a friend asked why. "Because I love the Lord, and I guess it's a reminder," I replied. I don't know if it was a good answer or not. But it's true.
Maybe also I want to be salt and light. I want for people to know that I'm a Christian. Maybe, just maybe they can see from my lifestyle that they, too, might want to buy into what I'm selling.
I don't mean to give a secular or business analogy, but we are commissioned (Matt 28:19-20) to spread the gospel. Don't get me wrong; wearing a cross that most people will not ever see is by no means or fashion sharing the gospel. But it is a witness. It can stimulate conversation. It can announce that I am a follower of Jesus and certainly not ashamed.
I read recently that Americans have to hear the message of the gospel 30 to 100 times before they believe. Of course, that's with the work of the Holy Spirit. While I know the Spirit doesn't need my help, doesn't need my wearing of the cross to influence, because if one is called by God, he/she will believe. But through prayer and a display of love, perhaps I can at least be a witness. Maybe that's more in the area of equipping than evangelizing.
The goal is multiplying (Luke 6:40) the number of those to be in the kingdom. To become like Jesus in death and to live and never die ("Knowing You" by Graham Kendrick). That's maybe a stretch from why I wear the cross, but if I can influence one positively in the direction of the Lord, then it will have been worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home