On the QT

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

SO WHO AM I?

In the days of President Nixon when he opened China, at least when he opened talks with China, he met Chairman Mao who was in declining health.  Mao had been schooled on a few English expressions to use, but he failed badly.

Upon meeting Mr. Nixon he was supposed to say, "How are you?"  Instead he uttered, "Who are you?"  His follow up was supposed to be, "How do you do?"  Mao said, "What do you do?"

As bad as that may seem, they really are good questions that could be posed to almost anyone.  In fact, they're pretty good self-analysis questions. 

We live in a world that constantly addresses these key questions.  Just think of the number of books predicated on each.  The number of philosophies centered around both.

The utter satisfaction with ourselves depends on our answers for the most part.  From "I'm just a girl who cain't say 'No'" to "I'm Nobody/Who are you?"  At least those two had an idea.

I wonder how Nixon answered Mao.  But more importantly, I wonder how I would answer each question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home