On the QT

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

I'M STILL THAT WAY

"Don't fall in love with Scottsdale," our pastor warns.  Because it is the home of beautiful people.  Well, certainly not all, but there is a certain amount of glamor to be found/seen in our burg.

Even if we lived in Prescott, Globe, or Williams there's that same danger.  The danger that we shoot for our satisfaction in this temporal world.  We're simply not supposed to.  Our focus should be on eternity which is a whole lot longer than the 70-90 years we can reasonably expect to live.

But aren't we supposed to appreciate, to awesomate (I've never used that word before but for the sake of parallelism and coinage, it will suffice) the Creation and marvel at God's handiwork?  Didn't God want us to be happy?  Don't we want our children to be happy?  So why can I not be in love with the place where God put me?

Faithful reader(s) may think I'm facetious as I am sometimes, but I'm really serious. Am I not suppose to enjoy the beauty of the desert and mountains, the sunshine and blue, blue skies?  A good meal, a good cup of Joe, a Cardinal World Series championship?  Am I not supposed to be salt and light to this world?  Am I not supposed to be pleasant and affable?  Affirmative and encouraging?

Why can't I serve two masters?  What is so vital about single mindedness?  I mean, I'm not comparing because what's to compare, but why not enjoy the here and now, too, and yes be in love with life soaking in the blessings given from a loving Father God?

I do have difficulties with this biblical principle.  I know I need to accept, to submit, but it looks like I'm not as mature a Christian as I sometimes like to think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home