On the QT

Monday, November 07, 2011

MULLIGAN CONT.

That's just me.  Then and now. 

Now is 2008.  Just after the election that gave the US its first mulatto President.  It seemed to me to be the time for a Black,  Hispanic, even Asian to hold the top spot in our country.  Just not this guy.

But as someone once said, "You deserve the leaders you get," or something like that.  When I even think about politics, I think about Evelyn at KU.  You know, "Rock, Chalk," whatever the heck that means in Kansas.  I never did get it.

"HHH."

"I guess ever since Kennedy, Presidential candidates go by their initials now."

"He's got it together.  He won't escalate the war."

"You mean the one JFK started?"

"President Kennedy only sent advisory personnel to Nam." 

I liked her shoulder length hair, not quite strawberry blonde, not quite auburn either.  I'm sure crayolas had the exact color labeled.  At least I remember a burnt orange in a box of 48. But Shelledy's hair wasn't that color.  It was as unique as her name, unique as her involvement in the process, as she called it.

An English major, she had gotten more than her fair share of the ideology ( she once got into an argument with an instructor over the pronunciation of the word. Her preference was id-e-ol-ogy instead of i-de-ology) that permeates the college scene today.  It did then back in the '60's, but was not quite as overt.

What most of us back then let slide, she embraced and changed so much that she was almost unrecognizable to the crop of freshmen that she started college with just 3 semesters prior.

"Only a technicality."

I rarely got the last word with her.  But on this day, she had more in mind.  Of course, it included me.  Of course, I followed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home