On the QT

Monday, November 14, 2005


MY BAD
That was Torry Holt's comment on his first dropped pass in the Seattle loss yesterday in NFL action. A loss that buried this year's version of a playoff team in St. Louis. I'm not sure about his second dropped pass in the corner of the end zone. I gets his comment might be "my real bad." Or "my bad, my bad."

I've never really understood that expression. In fact when I first heard Coach Creel's son use it in my class years ago, I though it was "Am I bad?" That makes more sense to me.

But before I start sounding too much like Andy Rooney, I'll just give a composite list, certainly not exclusive of all the cliches that broadcasters make that I've heard enough of.

Number one on my list is "110%." Sorry guys, that's not possible. I even heard an athlete say the other day that she would give 200%. Ain't gonna happen, though "her motor (could) constantly be running."

"it's not rocket science." "pin their ears back." "it's gonna be a battle." "level the playing field" "the game is played on the field" "you know what I'm saying?" "buying more time" "the clock is their enemy, not (insert team )" "take it one game at a time" "Sweating bullets" "took points off the scoreboard" "you gotta protect the ball" "close the gap" and " a must-win situation."

There a a jillion more, of course. The picture at the start of this blog is a lap writing desk out of the early 1900's. It's not a great picture. Oops, sorry. My bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home