On the QT

Saturday, June 23, 2007



WHERE DO GECKOS GO IN THE HEAT?


Part of my nightly routine is to shut off the kitchen light and turn on the outside back porch light. Only for awhile. To see and count the geckos on the underside of our covered back patio. I can't remember the record number of geckos; it may be 14, but it's at least 11.


None quite as colored as the tokay pictured here. I like the transparent ones that reveal what they've encountered during the day or early evening hours. I don't know what they eat that makes them red, but some are. And some only red in the tail.


Except for three big artistic ones place on a wall and over a door leading to our garage, we haven't had a gecko in the house for awhile. I guess that means we don't have any scrumptious bugs. The first one we encountered in another house made me freak. I had to catch it in a Dixie cup and free it outside, but I did not want that thing crawling up in bed with me. Since then, no worries. I think they may look at me in the same light.


But since it's gotten very warm, ok real hot, I haven't spotted a one. Tonight I'll go walking outside where our roof line wraps around and see if maybe they've found a cooler place to hang out. It may even be a cool spot I've been missing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home