On the QT

Thursday, September 06, 2007


NFL 2007
It all begins tonight. After allowing college football to get started last weekend, the big boys strap 'em on for real. I wish I could be more excited about it.
I mean I'm in a great fantasy league. The Borrowing Owls will try again to make the playoffs, but in recent years they've fallen on hard times. In a league poll fashioned by our league commissioner, my team didn't even make the list of who the projected league winner would be. As a result, I didn't vote. Showed him, huh?
And that's only part of my quasi-apathy. Mt team, the Rams, seem only middle of the pack to me. Some superstars, but for some reason the Rams can't tackle very well. Another thing that irks me is their special teams play. Also, they now play ball control, and that's not too exciting to me either. I see no better than a 9-7 season and early exit in the playoffs. I'm being optimistic here, too.
My hometown team, the Cardinals, get their usual over-hype. But what can you expect from a paper whose sports editor is a Cub fan? I mean what would he know about winning teams and programs? So before the season starts, I'm tired of new coach Wiz and the boys from Glendale.
Mike Vick, et. al. Well, yes, the NFL has its share of thugs, and maybe that's part of the problem, too. I just need to watch some more of those United Way commercials featuring the players.
I just need to remember the smells around the stadium of tailgating going on. I just need to remember the introductions of players and cheerleaders and fireworks and smoke and loud music. Hey, I'm getting ready. I just need to remember the hit of shoulder pads against one another. A linebacker taking on a wide receiver and intercepting a pass. The face painting, not just an emblem or logo--I mean the whole face and the Ram fans who wear watermelons on their heads. Oh, this is getting better. Kurt Warner trying to help a Hollywood qb that has his old job. Rev Isaac Bruce going across the middle as the crowd chants BRUUUUCE after a first down. A perfectly tossed spiral from Bulger to Holt.
Ok, I'm ready now. Plus, how cool is it to have a Quinn and a Ted Ginn in the same league? Yup. I'm ready for some football. Go Rams!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home