On the QT

Tuesday, August 21, 2007






HOW COOL IS THIS?


My parents met when my mom was working at Woolworth's Dept. Store and my dad was working at Acme's Candy Kitchen, next door. Now the pictures I found on ebay under the topic collectibles, subtopic advertising were also next door to each other, or rather the next page.


And I know Cowboy boots and candy are different, but hey, it's close.


They dated for about a year and a half before they married to start a family. My brother Jack was born the next year. As for me, well I didn't come around until 20 years later. No siblings in between. When my brother married at age 22 and started his family, his children were close in age to me, his oldest being 5 years younger, so I kinda had sister/nieces for awhile. By the time his son rolled around, I was 12 and then 15 when his last child was born, so there was obvious separation there.


I have to rely on him to provide family history because I don't remember much. I was always out playing ball and if I wasn't, I wanted to be, so when Aunt Cordelia came to visit from Louisiana, I wasn't too interested. I wasn't around when she lived in my hometown and she didn't have any kids my age, so I'd get kissed and pinched and go my own way to the nearest baseball, basketball, or football game I could find. All my grandparents had passed away by the time I was ten or eleven, so again, I didn't have much in the way of family history.


Our BSF teacher is writing his family history with a chapter on Religious Legacy. I think that's pretty cool. (I know, I've used cool twice now, and started to write neat, but I thought that dated me) I could have been more hip and spelled it kewl as a former student of mine did, but I thought it stupid then and now. As for our legacy, after early upbringing as a Methodist, my Mom was a member of the same church as my dad and me. One of my grandfathers was well versed in scripture, and quoted it a lot according to my bro, and his wife was a foot-washing Baptist.


So I guess my chapter would be pretty short. Certainly important, but not many details. So if my brother and I had been named after where my parents met, he'd be Ac or A.C. instead of Jack. And I'd either be Wooly<> or Worthless.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home