On the QT

Thursday, August 16, 2007


THE NIGHT WE NEVER MET
While I haven't seen this movie, I am intrigued by the title. Possibly the plot, at least the possibilities for a story based on the title.
Observing high school students for many years, I wondered how many of major life decisions were made in my classroom. A note passed. A shared smile. An inside joke. All could lead to so much more.
A schedule change that allowed someone(s) to meet. A seating chart made out by a teacher who didn't opt for alpha seating. A walk to the next class because it was in the same vicinity or direction. A group project. The possibilities are as limited as one's imagination.
So am I saying friendships/relationships are formed out of fate or chance? How about weather's role? I remember once walking with a high school girl I was interested in. It had been snowing and ice had formed typically before the snow. I slipped and fell right on the seat of my pants. I bounced right back up. But the damage to my psyche had been done. Even before she and others started laughing. I never asked her out after that. I was damaged goods, at least in my mind.
Close readers will notice I used a diversion so as not to answer my own question. But it is fun to think about it. How the hand of a guidance counselor, the stroke of a teacher's pen could change a person's life. Even a snowfall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home