On the QT

Wednesday, August 15, 2007



A GRIPE WITH THE ENGLISH, REPHRASE THAT, THE WORLD OUTSIDE AMERICA


Once I coached it in YMCA. At least for awhile. And I never played the game. I'm not from that generation. My kids both played. And my grandkids. Of course I'm talking about soccer.


It's the most beloved sport in the world. It's followers are ardent. So much that there are riots after huge game wins.


It's the cheapest of all sports to finance. Oh, a good field is paramount, but financially that's about it: it doesn't take a lot of cash for uniforms, at least compared to baseball or football.


And that's my gripe, right there. Why do they insist on calling the sport football? Still today? What's wrong with the term soccer? And when it's used, there's no question as to which sport one is referring. While I've never heard of the Footballers Wives as advertised in this BBC television show, I'm certain it's about soccer. So why disguise it? Call it what it is.


It's a soccer ball, isn't it? No one in the world calls it a football. So come on. If you think I'm over-reacting, you're right. But nomenclature is important. As is the correct name for sports. I mean cricket is cricket and not baseball, isn't it? Well, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home