On the QT

Monday, August 20, 2007


INKIN, BLINKIN, AND NOD
My cousin used to read me the story by that name. It seems there were three guys in a tub or tug that went out to sea one day. I don't think they ever returned.
I never realized until recently that they may have been wandering because of their bad actions. Or they may have simply been drowsy in the land of Nod. Since Nod was a character and not a place, they may have just had silly names.
In Gen 4:16, Cain is banished east of Eden in the Land of Nod for killing his brother Abel. I shared earlier that a history teacher of mine in junior college said he could never keep straight who killed whom unless he recalled "Cain killed Abel with the leg of a table." Like a lot of good stories teachers share, I've forgotten the point, perhaps a pneumonic device for memorizing, but I can still remember the example.
The main thing is Cain had to leave the presence of the Lord. While David in Psalm 27 desires to be in the presence of the Lord in his daily life, it was a luxury not afforded Cain after his evil action. So Nod is a lot like Hell. And that's what separation from God is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home