On the QT

Tuesday, October 02, 2007




WHAT IS IT ABOUT SONGS STUCK IN OUR HEADS, AND HOW THE HECK DO WE GET THEM OUT?


When you saw the picture above, I'm certain that "Rubber Ducky" came to mind. Hopefully not in Kermit's voice, but you heard it. It may take you the rest of the day to get that tune out of your head. So, don't blame me--I could have put up a picture of "It's a Small World;" now that is annoying.


But it doesn't just have to be an annoying song. Ok, I'll try one more, just by title. "Macarena". Was there ever a song that grated you anymore than that one? And some people loved it. I think they had endulged themselves in John Barleycorn, but some seemed to enjoy it.


For me, lately it's been Bobby Darin's "Mack the Knife," one of my all-time favorites. I even went to Google to hear a little audio and also to find the lyrics. Even with explanation, I don't think I understand all the ins and outs of the song, but I still like it a lot. I just wish I could get it out of my head. "Yes, I think I'm going out of my head, over you." See what I mean?


I love praise songs and hymns sung every Sunday at church. Usually I carry one of those songs in my head for a couple of days, despite the fact that 3 of my 6 FM channels are tuned to Christian music stations and I find myself not moving much from KLOV as I stated in another blog. But still the music with Pastor Russ at SBC rules and wins out over the radio. "And all God's children singing,"glory, glory to His name.."


So how do you clear the mind? How do you push out songs that you love or hate? I usually just start another one to break the hold. "Up on the Roof" worked for me today. Now, don't dwell on it, or you'll have to substitute another. Just hope I don't end on a tune that you can't break away from for awhile. Like something from the 70's--how about "Stayin' Alive"?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home