On the QT

Wednesday, November 28, 2007



SO WHERE ARE THE OLD RADIO SHOWS?


I'm not talking about Boston Blackie pictured above. I mean copies of the old radio selections that DJ's used. Complete with news, weather, and the old songs.


I'd love to hear about an hour of say March 15, 1963, on station KXOK in St. Louis. As I said in a previous blog, I'd select one hour with DJ Johnny Rabbitt. I know he would play all the hits plus some of the up and coming or down and going nowhere songs of that generation. Commercials would be good to hear, too. Gas stations advertising oil changes for $4.95 and gas for 60 cents.


I wouldn't want a Garrison Keiler spin on it. I want the real McCoy. I think the FCC required all stations to produce a copy and send to them. For checking content. I have no idea if they keep them that long, but if they did, I would be interested.
Tresemme, Tresemme, Tresemme--whatever that women's product is, still advertises basically the same way. Why I remember their little jingle, I don't know. Maybe that's what successful advertising is all about. I'm also sure that some would annoy me now as they did then.
Newscasts with the prospective of hindsight would be interesting to hear. Sports, too. All from the present day today looking backwards. Ted Cassidy, an American Lit teacher from college said once that he hoped in Heaven he would be able to focus in on people he knew and loved on earth and see how they were doing. From what I've read, that's not going to be an option. I think we'll have a different focus there, but in a way, I guess that's what I'm searching for with this request.
If I ever find it available, I don't think I'd be too interested in the re-broadcasts. Except for a time or two. That'd be enough. Just a glimpse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home