On the QT

Sunday, November 11, 2007


YOU DIDN'T WANT TO BE ONE
But I can't recall the basis for Ratt Fink. When I was in high school, it was a name people called others who were undesirables. There was even a cheer for opposing players. It was pretty simple: R-a-t-t-F-i-n-k, RattFink, Rattfink.
But the significance, the point of reference escapes me. I suppose it's the combination of two terms that aren't too flattering. A rat needs no further explanation. Only Templeton and the Ratatouille guys are looked out as favorable. Cagney immortalized the bad guys with, "You, you're the rat who killed my brother."
The simply use of "Rats", means something disappointing has happened. Even in your hair, rats are no good.
The first time I heard the word Fink was from the Davy Crockett movie and book. Big Mike Fink was king of the river. And, yes, he was a bad guy. When fink evolved into a disreputable figure, I don't know. It surely didn't come from Crockett.
But fink has always had negative connotations. Nerd, another term used when I was in high school, is a synonym. Fink actually seemed more menacing, though. A nerd could possibly change, but it was more ingrained in his chromosomes. A fink had more control, but probably would diss somebody if he had a chance.
Combine the two words, add an addition t for emphasis and you have the epitome of unsavoriness: Rattfink. I guess he looked like the picture on the right. I'm glad that word disappeared from slang. There are still Rattfinks, of course, but they go by a variety of names nowadays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home