On the QT

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

" I DON'T KNOW WHY SHE SWALLOWED THAT FLY"


When I was younger and lived in MTV, I recall seeing television shows and movies that showed people having their windows and doors open. I thought they were crazy. I mean there were no screens on windows or doors.

So how could that be, I thought. Who would want all those flies in their house?
I don't know what it is about the common housefly. Why are there so many in the Midwest? We have only a dozen or so in AZ. Well, maybe that's an underestimation, but we don't have many. We'd be more likely to have a hummingbird fly into our house than a fly. It's the same in California and lots of other places I've been. Does it have to do with humidity? If so, I guess Houston and Atlanta lead the league.

They're just spooky insects. No wonder they call them bugs. I don't even want to think about where they hang out or where they've been before they land on my face or arm. Plus, all those eyes. Also the sticky feet. They're ugly, too. Yesterday I saw the tiniest praying mantis on a beach towel. Now those guys might not win any beauty contest, but they're cool: they don't bother you--they just pray. Now that's a good bug.

But the fly. Now if I swallowed a fly, I think I'd, well you know the song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home