On the QT

Sunday, June 24, 2007

" IF IFS AND BUTS WERE CANDY AND NUTS, WE'D ALL HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS"


That's a line from my favorite baseball announcer, Cardinals Mike Shannon. It used to be Jack Buck and before him Harry Carey, but only as a Cardinal announcer. When Carey and Buck worked together there were none better. Jack Buck and Shannon a close second. Notice I didn't mention Joe Buck. Sorry, I don't care for him. At all.


But that's not what this entry is about, It's about dandelions and wishes. When I'd see kids blow the seeds off dandelions, at least I guess they're seeds, I used to think of the number of weeds that were being fed. You see, as a professional yard mower, that was my interest, not spreading even more dandys for me to have to mow or dig up.


Some even played "She loves me, she loves me not," with them. We lived in a tough 'hood where daisy petals were rare. Others just made wishes with each blow till none survived. A windy kid could have only one wish before he/she ran out of weed (well, it's not a flower). Since we don't have (m)any in Arizona, you'll have to play along with me.


My first wish is for love. "No not just for one, but for everyone." And before you think me a romantic or sentamentalist, remember that's what Jesus wanted: love for the Father and love for one another.


My second wish is for satisfaction. "And I try, and I try, and I try." Whatever our endeavors, I hope we can achieve satisfaction. I've blogged before about the satisfaction one gets from a hard day of physical labor, when at the end of the day one can look back with pride.


My third, and last wish, since my dandelion has only a little substance left, is for passion. Everyone needs a fervent passion. It can be people, job, or recreation related, but it must be done/looked forward to passionately. It gives us purpose and satisfaction. Or despair and broken hearts. But at least we're feeling something.


That's it. My dandelion is bare. "No more to build on there," as Frost once said. Love, satisfaction, passion. Those'll do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home