On the QT

Monday, October 15, 2007


MOANER LISER
I've seen the Mona Lisa in the Louvre. I had to wait awhile. In 1995 when I was there, people could still take pictures of the old girl. Why I wondered at the time? Aren't there plenty of pictures of her readily available? Wouldn't the glare from the protective clear covering cause distortion?
Then I quit wondering. I mean what's so great about that picture anyhow? Now I know my old Art Appreciation instructor from junior college would be having a fit. He taught me better. I do love art. But I think I have a right to like what I like and dislike what I don't understand. Let me get this straight: I appreciate Da Vinci, but I don't see what all the fuss is over Mona.
Take this picture of the female on the right for instance. What if we posed the same questions about it. What is she doing with that mouth? Is it suppressing a smile? Is she being coy? What about that curl over her right eye? Is it hiding an imperfection? How did she get it mussed? Was it done purposely? Was there a tussle? See what I mean?
I don't care for a lot of Shakespeare. Or Mark Twain. Picasso? Some, but most leave me confused. I addressed opera in an earlier blog. Hey, maybe I have no class. Hey maybe I'm not cultured? Oh well, I know what I like and I like what I know. Or what can inspire me to think and study. Or relax and enjoy. I think I'm just too laid back and too honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home