On the QT

Wednesday, December 12, 2007




WHAT'S IN A NAME?


"You didn't play a musical instrument in high school?"


"Naugh. I was on the ballfields too much."


"Yeah, that's right. I remember." "But how did you get to be a sissy when you didn't play an instrument in high school?"


I just laughed when it was my turn to respond to a buddy of mine who initiated the conversation.


Friday night we had been to the Arizona Opry in Apache Junction for our Adult Bible Fellowship, which is our hip way of saying Sunday School class, Christmas party. The key performer was a guy formerly of The Tokens who sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". He was outstanding showing his musical talent by playing approximately 30 different instruments. All but strings or drums.


And my buddy and I were impressed. At intermission, he was talking to me about his trumpet playing abilities when he posed the question.


I guess I could have gotten mad at him for his insinuation. Maybe I should have decked him. I mean we are in the Old West. But he's bigger than I am, and I'm recovering from a broken thumb that was never splinted or fixed and still causes me pain. Plus, I like the guy.


Also, he's probably right. I mean I did teach English. I do like to read. And write. I am a Christian which means I should be gentle and kind. I could add a lot of other qualities I possess that would support buddy Bob's assertion, so I'll just quit before I condemn myself.


I'm just glad he didn't call me a pansy. Them's fighting words.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home