On the QT

Thursday, December 06, 2007


THERE WAS A TIME IN MY LIFE
When I did. And I didn't have nearly as much free time then as now. Oh, I still need an occasional distraction now. But back then I needed a lot more. So I picked up the telephone and called a friend. Then I got away from homework. Or questions that my parents might ask that I really didn't want to answer.
But since my junior and senior high days, I haven't been one to talk much on the phone. So it comes as a huge surprise to me that most people do like to talk on the phone. A lot. Everywhere. I think people use the phone the same way we used to use cigarettes--it gives you something to do with your hands.
It has to be the reason. Otherwise, how could so many people talk to so many people so much of the time? What could they find to talk about?
Don't get me wrong. In a medical situation, in a situation where contact must be made and timing is essential, they are wonderful. Sky Harbor Airport has a Cell Phone Parking Lot where you wait until you get that call that your passenger(s) have arrived and are on the curb, luggage in hand. That's awesome and the lot at Terminal 4 is only two minutes away. Yesterday after golf, one of my bud's called his wife to tell her when to expect him home. Again, no problem, just another example of how cool cell phones are.
But what I hear mostly from constant users is "Where you at?" Or "they have turkey bacon. What brand was it you wanted?" Or "What's up?" Or "Nothing. What are you doing?"
Loud talkers irritate me, too, as you can probably guess. They remind me of the first time I talked to someone long distance and thought I had to speak up so they could hear me. One lady in a store the other day was practically screaming into the phone as she followed me around the store. Then she beats me to the checkout line. She was still on the phone and reaching for her groceries with one hand while concentrating much more on the phone call. I didn't know whether to help her or push her. Since she couldn't hear me if I were to speak, I shoved her right in the middle of ...Ok, maybe I didn't, but the thought was there.
So Claire Bear when you finish that call, please finish your latte. Don't call me. I think you're great on my favorite tv show. But if you have to talk to me, just come by my house. You'll find me in a better mood then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home