On the QT

Saturday, May 26, 2007

ALL FOR THE LACK OF A DEFERMENT



That's all. Otherwise, who knows, I might have been a dj. At least I applied to the CBS School of Broadcasting when I was a senior in high school. It was no longer than a one-year program, and while the US was in the throes of Viet Nam, it simply wasn't enough for me.
One Friday night a recruiter from the school came to my house. I was out with friends and so he visited with my parents. I'm not sure they even knew I had applied. Before the advent of cell phones, they couldn't reach me, though they called my buddy's Russ' house looking for me. After awhile, I guess the recruiter gave up and went home, ending my career in broadcasting before it began.
But what a great job, I thought with my 17-year old logic. All you do is talk a little and play music. Hey, I loved music, I listened to it day and night, I'd be getting paid for doing something I really liked. I also liked the idea of requests, staying up late at night, and maybe bringing people together.
MTV High had an active Speech Dept. where Radio Speaking was a category for state competition, but I was a senior by the time my voice got low enough to be considered and besides, I was in the contest play that fell just shy of qualifying for state. I still remember our rating and critique: we got 3nd place with a smudge on 3. Upon closer inspection, you could see a 2 had been erased. Naturally, 2nd advance; 3rd or 3nd went home.
I did have a side career in announcing high school sports as public address announcer for varsity football, basketball, and baseball--for 35 seasons. The only time I made it on the radio was when a radio announcer in the press box or booth would shove a mic under my nose when I introduced Homecoming Queen candidates or other special events.
Another Wolfman left out of the night air. Or maybe another Ted Baxter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home