On the QT

Monday, May 28, 2007




MEMORIAL DAY REFLECTIONS




In yesterday's blog I wrote about my avoidance of military service during Viet Nam. It doesn't mean I've ever disrespected our soldiers. I've always had the utmost respect for them. Unlike Bill Clinton and war veteran John Kerry, I never protested although there were certainly lots of opportunities on the SIU campus just after the Kent State killings.

And I don't know that I've ever been a silent majority. Maybe more of a silent minority. I know I pray for our country's leadership and the direction I see us heading. I know we have been blessed by God, not because we help all nations as a Palenstinian pastor once told me in Bethlehem, but because we support Israel and God's own chosen people.

I know that on Memorial Day 1974, I was a new father who was learning the ropes. As a grandfather of 3 (so far), in 2007 I know I still have much to learn on this Memorial or Decoration Day as it used to be called.

But I know today I shall pause and give thanks for all our soldiers, past, present, and future. And despite current skepticism and criticism by Those Who Don't Know, the US is still the best country in the world. May we turn to God and allow Him to shower us with His blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home