On the QT

Saturday, September 08, 2007


WHEN DO THE NEW SHOWS START ?
Back to school also used to mean that the ice cream truck, as we called it, wouldn't be coming around much longer. If he did, we'd miss it because of our using our Number two lead pencils sans complete erasers already. So the familiar sound of the bell would be drowned out by the voice of the teacher or the schoolyard cacaphony of kids at play. We never called him the Good Humor Man. I still don't know if that's a brand or a nickname for the bringer of goodies, but I kinda like it.
But one thing I liked about Fall was the new tv season. The biggest TV Guide of the year would announce the schedules of the three networks and give a little description of each show. I'd examine that schedule closely to see that no two shows I liked were in conflict with one another. Remember, this was before VCRs and Tivo. So I didn't want to have to choose between The Mod Squad and The Patty Duke Show. Back then they never seemed to pit two powerhouse shows against each other. It was like ABC would give in to NBC for Wednesday night at 8:00, but NBC would pad their ratings on Thursday night at 7:00.
And no station would dare to put The Outer Limits opposite of The Twilight Zone. Likewise, Saturday night was Gunsmoke and Sunday night The Wonderful World of Disney. Fledgling ABC concentrated more on newer venues such as Room 222. One of their all-time biggest hits premiering around 1970 was Monday Night Football.
But now, when I have 100 channels or so, most nights I find myself channel surfing to find something, anything to entertain me or keep me from doing anything worthwhile trying to recover from a tough day of retirement. I usually find a ballgame to watch while my wife reads.
But I still miss the Good Humor Man (yeah, I like the sound of that), the new tv season--when does Friday Night Lights and 24 start? and that big old TV Guide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home