On the QT

Tuesday, October 16, 2007


THIS PHOENIX COULDN'T RISE AGAIN
Well actually they're called Arizona DBax, but as the Bard said, "What's in a name"? Swept by the Rockies. Can you say en fuego? Unbelievable run the Rocks are on. But how can you dislike them? They're unassuming, seemingly ego-less. A team that took all by surprise with outstanding defense and unheralded pitching.
Hopefully the Cleveland team can be their worthy opponents. Two Midwest, fresh teams without huge payrolls. That sounds nice to me. Much to the displeasure of my nephew-in-law (is there such an animal?) a Boston fan, I had to enjoy seeing the Dice-Man get knocked around and take yesterday's loss. I mean he only cost the Sox $150 mil. I have trouble with that.
But I've been too negative On the QT lately, so I'll emphasize the positive aspect of having two non-media darlings vying for the world championship. To boot, one was a Wild Card entry. Oh well.
Somehow, Bowie Kuhn (I know, I promised to be positive) images of his wearing short sleeves in a World Series game in late October come to mind. He was trying to act as if baseball being played in late, late October was no problem. Of course, this season if the Series goes the full seven games, it will end on November 1. Now, that's just sick. Not sick as in cool, either. (I just can't be positive, can I?)
Anyhow, thanks for the season Arizona. Lots of young guns looking towards next season. Young, Drew, Upton, Reynolds, Owings, Hudson--that's a lot of youth. Now if ownership adds two pitchers and two power hitters winning could become a habit in the desert. But I have a feeling they'll still just be my second favorite team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home