On the QT

Wednesday, January 09, 2008


ANOTHER VACATION STORY?
Hey, I figure if I had to endure three weeks in Africa, my loyal reader(s) will have to endure three weeks of stories. Just kidding. But here's one more.
We didn't have the best suite on the ship. It was on deck 5, lower than we prefer, and it was near the tail end of the ship. For non-cruisers, mid-ship is much better. Also, it wasn't the largest ship in the world, having only 285 guests. So what does that all mean?
Seasickness. Despite Sea Bands, which are wrist bands worn on each wrist with an indented button strategically placed, two to three fingers above the pulse. Despite Sea Bands and Dramamine. When we were going from the Atlantic to Indian Ocean, the waves were protesting. And so was my stomach.
We had been to a non-denom church service on the ship on Christmas night. When we returned to the room for me to put on a tie to go to dinner (yes, it was one of those kinds where they like for the guests to play dress-up), our daughter informed us that she was feeling ill and to go on without her. Within 5 minutes, I was ripping off my shirt and heading to the bathroom myself.
No Christmas goose for us. My wife, ever conscious of multi-caloried meals, kindly chose to stay with us, skipping a great meal. She suffered no ill effects but decided to wear her Sea Bands, too.
Poor baby, TQ. But what about Hairspray? Our granddaughter loves the movie. Her Dad being the good dad he is, took her and her friends to see the movie at least two times. It was playing on the tv during my illness. It was so annoying. It made my stomach turn even more. Well not as bad as side to side rocking mingled in with the big wave right under you that lifts and then proceeds to drop you. Those are the worst.
These waves and the winds could not compare to the ones we had last year just off the Falkland Islands. Now they were monsters. But they, along with Hairspray sure knew how to ruin a good Christmas night and day after.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger Pure BS said…

    We are taking a vacation on a friend's Yacht in the Med off the coast of Italy. Peg gets seasick in the pool -- this is going to be an adventure. Think of me in August.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home