On the QT

Wednesday, January 16, 2008


COFFEE--IT JUST SOUNDS GOOD
I'm really not a coffee lover. Oh, I'm getting ready to have another cup as I type, but it will only be my second of the morning and my last. I'm a black coffee drinker only. I drink it only in the morning. And if I don't get my coffee, well that's ok, too.
But it just sounds so good. It looks good, too, when you see someone in the movies with a big mug of coffee. But cigarettes look good in movies, too. A cigarette and cup of coffee, well that just exudes cool. Appearance wise. Breath-wise is another story.
A college friend of mine, chubby as a youth, decided to quit eating. I was around him a lot, and he hardly ever, ever ate. Soup maybe, but I just don't remember him eating. When we'd go out to eat, he'd just drink. I know I'm blocking it out, but I just don't remember him eating. But he drank coffee. All day long. He'd pour water over old grounds late in the day. He didn't care. He did chew gum. While he was drinking coffee. Is there anything worse that chewing gum soaked in coffee? Well, I'm sure there is, but I found myself standing way out of breath shot when talking to him.
I know lots of night time coffee drinkers, including my wife after a big meal with desert. De-caf for her. I've tried it when I've had a sore throat or something, but there's no appeal after my morning bout.
Neither son nor daughter drink coffee. The former will drink a morning soda, and that still hurts me. "It's all caffeine; what difference does it make?" He also eats cold pizza sometimes for breakfast. That hurts me, too. Not as much as another college friend of mine who drank a beer at 6:00 AM when he awoke. Our daughter drinks hot water some mornings. Sometimes with tea;sometimes not.
Now if we put them all together, I'd have to say the worst is the morning wake up beer, followed by the gum chewing coffee, followed by the hot water, followed by the early soda and cold pizza. But if I reversed those, there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference.
I could also add any coffee with sugar, sweetener, or cream in it as being distasteful to me, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home