On the QT

Sunday, January 13, 2008


PITNEY
I wonder if the Pitney albums are included? I wonder if anyone remembers Gene Pitney?
Pitney was sorta like Roy Orbison. That is, he had a range that was tough to duplicate. He was imitated by a lot of us guys back then. But most did a pretty weak rendition of him. I remember Wayne Grant, known more for his baseball pitching than singing, came about the closest.
But Pitney was a lost love singer. What I mean is he had tough experiences and somehow came up empty handed. Just some of his titles will tell you that: "Only Love Can Break a Heart," "Looking Through the Eyes of Love," "Lonely Drifter," et. al. But he wasn't country music whining. He just hadn't found the right gal. Or if he had, he'd lost her. That's the way it was with a bunch of my buds and me back then. So even though Pitney appealed more to girls, we kinda liked him, too.
Now, back to my first sentence. A friend of mine comes to AZ to be a snow bird for the months of January and February. Our son got to keep my stack of albums from the 60's and 70's. Our daughter, music lover that she is, decided she wanted them just before Scott was going to put them on Ebay. So my MTV friend brought them out with him.
Although we played golf together last week, we haven't made the albums exchange, or dish off. So I don't know what's still there. Oh, I know there will be Beatles, Stones, the Association, Simon and Garfunkle, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Vanilla Fudge, and Roy. I'm certain there will be Pitney, but I don't recall how many albums. You see, I also had him on 8 track tapes--wow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home