On the QT

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

TWENTY TWELVE

Why does that sound so science fiction to me?  Anyway, I hope the year plays out better for most folks than 2011 did.  Except for the Cardinals' World Championship.  I could take a whole lot more of those before I'm called home, as Emily Dickinson wrote just before she died.  I mean just before.

But we won't dwell on what might have been or what was.  Looking to the future, uncertain as it is, always excites.  A fresh start.  A new beginning.  The ol' slate rubbed clean again.  Out with the old; in with the new.

I sure hope that's true in the Presidential election this coming year.  I'm certainly ready for leadership change.  An unchecked Obama second term is one helluva nightmare for me.

But this entry was to be positive.  But I'm not positive whom I like on the Republican slate.  So I'll wait out the primaries and see who rises and who falls.

When you get to be my age, health related issues are near the top of list.  In the past few years I've lost far too many good friends and classmates.  A moratorium on mortality would make 2012 great.  And while I'm asking, an eradication of illnesses, too.

I hope the new year finds me losing even more weight.  I've lost 100 pounds in 2011.  The same five pounds 20 different times. Man, when you put it on later in life, it is so hard to take AND keep off.

When I taught College Prep Writing for 25 years, I used to stress that in the traditional 5 paragraph theme having a good final developing paragraph and good conclusion were necessary to make up for weaknesses other places in the paper.  I'll follow my advice and end on the most important. 

I hope than 2012 brings us collectively as a country and individually close to God and that we live for the purpose that He designed us for.  I sincerely hope we mature as Christians and turn to scripture for answers.  I hope we grow as a family unit and treat others with respect and kindness.

I guess I asked for just about everything except world peace.  Ok, I'll take it, but I won't hold my breath.

Have a happy and prosperous (yes, I still think that's a worthy goal in America today) 2012.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home