On the QT

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

IN 1972 I HAD A PURPOSE

for voting for the first time in my young life.  Simply stated, I didn't want to go to Viet Nam.  So, I voted for George McGovern.  Most people didn't and he got smeared.

Today is election day 2012.  Who would have thunk I'd still be around to vote?  Not me.  Most don't picture themselves growing old.  And in 1972, the year 2012 seemed like something out of a sci-fi book.  But it's here and so am I.

It's been a funny day.  Hourly, I change my mood based on who I think will win this crucial election.  My routine was the same.  No golf--my gosh it was 93 degrees here today!--so I substituted backyard work.  A three-mile walk this morning, a short nap on a float in our hot tub.  An errand or two ran and a gas fill-up.

But the wait.

I've done my due diligence on the election.  I've prayed.  But although my heart has been in it, I haven't relied on God as I should have.  I haven't trusted his sovereignty.  Oh, I haven't doubted it, I just haven't bought into it that He and I are on the same page.

Just like in 1972, I didn't get my way.  I didn't get what I thought was best for the country.  Sometimes I play God myself that way. 

I know again in 2012 whom I want to lead our country so richly blessed by God for so long.  The supreme advantage is that He knows already who won.  He knows how it will all turn out.  He wrote the book and I know how the final chapter ends.  It's the plot, the denouement I want my selfish hand in.

I know also that Jesus is King and I embrace that.  It's some of His underlings that I fret about.

If Mitt Romney does not win today's election, it will be God's will.  For me and my egocentricism, that embrace will be like a cold hug from an estranged relative.  As you can see, I need prayers.

Go Mitt and God, please bless America, time and time again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home