On the QT

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

HEY, IT'S HERE---2013

Hard to believe.  Even with one of the biggest frosts stuck to the ground since we've resided in Arizona.  But the year 2013 seems so, so, well strange.  Actually, ever since 2000 turned over our previous century, I've been a little uncomfortable about the date.

Sometimes, I even start to write 19 on a check.  Old habits are hard to break free from. In some ways, 2013 has met some of pre-conceived notions about the future.  I digress to 1959 when my favorite car, play car but not a Matchbox, was a silver sports car that looks somewhat like my wife's 2000 Jaguar.  Which, incidentally, our daughter says looks like the Monopoly car. 

For one thing, science fiction futurists show adults as having no hair.  Many now don't.  Some without choice, some too lazy to coff, some work hard to shave it all off for stylish reasons, I suppose, but short hair is in.  But not for me.  I'm glad I still have locks, gray as they may be, and if they can cover even part of my countenance, then I'm keeping them.

Clothing styles look somewhat as I might have expected them to look from my 1959 vantage point.  Though I would have never thought of the 70's styles and some of the wild shirts I wore then.  And buttons instead of a zipper?  How crazy is that?  I use "is" because Levis still makes a 511 jean with buttons.  I guess no designer has ever really had to pee bad.  But then again, they love to advertise the waist size on a banner above the widest of belts.  When I was a 32, I didn't mind.  When I jumped to a 40, I stopped buying Levis.  But my faves are a Joe jean size 38.  Now, that's the way to go, designers.  Make a 40  in reality a 38 or even a 36.  There's no truth in advertising anyhow.  I guess I digressed again.

So I'll get back to the topic.  If I only knew what it was.  Something about a new year.   Resolutions?  I've made 'em and like all I've broken them, but it's always good to get to hit the re-start button.  Goal-oriented is good, too.  As is re-assessment.  So why am I not making any this year?

Well, I'll blame the fiscal cliff.  I was certain that our country would go over it.  Those that know say we didn't.  I say differently.  We went over that a trillion dollar deficit. And I don't mean in one year either.  If you started counting to one trillion by one digit with a one second pause in between, it would take 32, 000 years to reach 1 trillion.  No kidding.  Our preacher quoted some guy, he had some staff research the validity, and I even double checked with him about the accuracy.  He's convinced, and so, then, am I.  

But smiling Joe Biden saved the day.  Has anyone ever had a more pretentious smile than our current veep, now in the running for 2016?  But I digress yet again.  Three is all I allow myself per entry, so I'm done.

Have a wonderful 2013, and as one of my Facebook buddies says, "May the best of your 2012 be the worst of your 2013." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home